Friday, April 20, 2018

Jurassic World Indoraptor

I'm a sucker for dinosaur toys. Can't help it. I've loved dinosaurs since I was a kid. Dinosaur toys or GI Joe? I don't know which has been a part of my life the longest.

I probably had plenty of cheap plastic dinosaurs when I was a kid. I remember having a bag full of brightly colored plastic dinosaurs that I apparently had prior to a long airline flight. Yellow, red, green... all extremely bright.

Nearly everything I've encountered with dinosaurs, I have wanted to be a part of it. My childhood dream was to be a paleontologist. That didn't quite work out.

When the first Jurassic Park movie came out 25 years ago (what the?), I was thrilled to see how well the dinosaurs were done. I've continued to follow along with the movies and have bought a few of the dinosaur toys along the way.

With the new Jurassic World movies, I wasn't as impressed with the dinosaurs that were released for the movie. I did buy the two Jurassic Park sets from Toys R Us a few years ago. Each had a human figure to go with them. One was an allosaurus; the other was a pachyrhinosaurus.
Image result for jurassic park allosaurus toy png
The interesting thing about these two sets is that both of them were missing the human figures from the sets. They really weren't packaged very well and were easily stolen. That really didn't matter to me, I wanted the dinosaurs.

Now up to the current movie, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. Mattel took over the license from Hasbro and they have really done an amazing job with the line. The human figures are decent enough and most of the dinosaurs are well done. Of course, that's with the understanding that these are toys, meant for children, not grown-ass adults.

After looking through the line up of toys, there were really only two, maybe three creatures that interested me. One was the super mega massive Tyrannosaurus Rex. This thing is huge!! It's around three feet long! But that's my problem with it, it's just way too big for my collection.

The next item from the line that caught my attention was the Indoraptor. The indoraptor is a Jurassic World hybrid creature and loosely based on a mix of different actual dinosaurs. 
I really like raptors and this beast just works for me. Plus this indoraptor has some of the most amazing articulation for a dinosaur toy that I have ever seen. I'm sure some company out there somewhere has done something like this, but this thing is amazing.

Starting at the head, its jaws open (of course) and the neck has two pivot points. One is right at the base of the skull and the other is at the bottom of the neck. Each arm has a swivel, pivoting shoulder joint. The elbows and wrists both swivel and pivot. The legs have swivel and pivot knee and ankle joints. The cool thing about the legs are the hip joints; they turn but also swivel inward and outward. I've never seen that done on dinosaur hip joints. The tail also has two swivel joints as well. This beast has an amazing amount of articulation!




I highly recommend the Indoraptor. If you like well made dinosaurs. If you like well made toys. If you want something to chew up your action figures, DO IT! Get one! It's a fantastic toy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great review, Tom! I wish they would articulate the rest of the medium to large sized dinos this way.